Street Outreach Worker ($19.00 per hour)
Covenant House Michigan is a faith-based nonprofit organization that provides hope to homeless, runaway and at-risk youth ages 18-24. We provide shelter, educational and vocational programs, as well as other support services, to help overcome hurdles such as homelessness, unemployment, inadequate education, violence, drugs and gangs. Our goal is to redirect them onto a path toward meaningful and successful adulthood.
CHM has come to be known by area young people as a place they can go to build a better future and be treated with respect and unconditional love. Over 60,000 youths have been served by CHM since its inception in September, 1997.
Prospective applicants that desire consideration for this opening should submit their cover letter of interest along with an updated resume.
WE ARE PROUD TO OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short/Long Term Disability Coverage
- Company paid life insurance
- 403B Retirement Plan (with annual company contribution)
- Generous Paid Time Off (15 days annually)
- Holiday Pay (12 annually)
- Stability that coincides with working for a national leader in human services
Summary: Split Shift (5 day) Work Schdule:
Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday: 11am – 7pm
Friday and Saturday from 7:30am – 3:30pm
Under the supervision of the Outreach Manager, the desirable street Outreach Worker will be responsible for working as part of the Outreach team to fulfill Covenant House Michigan’s Outreach goals which include locating and building relationships with homeless neighbors, providing advocacy, and assisting with connection to benefits and housing readiness.
The primary goal of the Outreach Worker is to identify and meet the needs of our unsheltered homeless and at-risk youth through direct street outreach activities and through community referrals from mental health, hospitals, municipalities and other social service type agencies, as well as to increase community awareness and provide support to our homeless youth neighbors.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required; fluent in speaking Spanish preferred.
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience required in social service agency working with at-risk youth.
- Valid Michigan Driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
- Ability, experience, and education to perform the assigned duties with or without accommodation.
- Belief in Covenant House Michigan Mission Statement and desire to fulfill the mission.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the needs of homeless and at-risk youth that CHM serves.
- Uphold the agency’s Mission, standards of conduct and policies and procedures at all times.
- Attend & participate in all mandatory meetings, training and supervision sessions as requested.
- Assist the Outreach Manager with contact of youth on the streets.
- Maintain a safe & inviting atmosphere while interacting with youth on the streets.
- Respond appropriately to emergencies and crises while in the community.
- Provide timely and accurate documentation of outreach activities to the Outreach Manager.
- Consistently demonstrate responsible driving habits at all times.
- Submit accurate contact sheet documentation of assigned projects and ongoing program services.
- Act as a liaison with community organizations & maintain awareness of community youth services.
- Assist the Outreach Manager with making contacts in the community and with youth on the streets.
- Canvass the streets to distribute Covenant House Michigan literature and items needed.
- Report observations made on the streets that have the potential to affect the welfare of youth.
- Establish positive relationships with youth & transport as needed to centers for community services.
- Plan and coordinate outreach activities in conjunction with the Outreach Manager.
- Assist the Outreach Manager in maintaining the Outreach van in good condition.
- Perform all other tasks as requested by leadership.
Covenant House Michigan is a vaccinated and an equal opportunity employer. CHM will not discriminate against any otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment with respect to hire, tenure, terms, conditions or privileges of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, height, weight, marital status, disabilities or other legally protected status.