Who We Are: Covenant House is an international nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young people to overcome homelessness and trafficking by providing best-in-class services and a shared commitment to unconditional love, absolute respect, and relentless support for each young person who walks through our doors.
Each year, the Covenant House federation reaches tens of thousands of youth through affiliated agencies in six countries, forging the largest movement for youth overcoming homelessness and trafficking across North and Central America.
We serve young people regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and seek to be a bridge for young people from homelessness to hope, meeting their immediate needs for food, clothing, protection, and medical care and supporting them to advance their goals of education and employment on their journey to stability and independence.
Covenant House encompasses a robust network of “houses” where our dedicated staff across the United States, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, and Canada employ a strengths-based, trauma-informed practice model that helps young people discover and develop their resilience to overcome adversity now and into the future. In Mexico, Honduras and Nicaragua, the agency is known as Casa Alianza; in Guatemala, we are known as La Alianza
Prospective applicants that desire consideration for this opening should submit their cover letter of interest along with an updated resume.
WE ARE PROUD TO OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short/Long Term Disability Coverage
- Company paid life insurance
- 403B Retirement Plan (with annual company contribution)
- Generous Paid Time Off (15 days annually)
- Holiday Pay (12 annually)
- Stability that coincides with working for a national leader in human services
Summary of Position: To provide supervision and delivery of residential services to residents as well as represent Covenant House Michigan by greeting guests, residents, staff and volunteers within the framework of the Mission Statement, Five Principles and policies and procedures of CHM. The RA will support, guide, and redirect the path of these youth toward safe, productive and independent lives. In addition to supervision, required services also include monitoring, transporting and meeting the basic daily needs, of the youth in their care, in a way that positively supports each resident’s developmental and individual goals.
Hourly Pay Rate: $19.00 or $17.00
- $19.00 (with a bachelor’s degree)
- $17.00 (without a bachelor’s degree)
Educational and Work Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma, GED required, Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or related field preferred.
- Minimum two years experience working with at-risk youth.
- Previous experience working in the mental health field also strongly desired.
- Knowledge of adolescent development, crisis intervention, multi-cultural awareness.
- CPR and First Aid certification desired.
- Valid Michigan driver’s license with agency deemed acceptable driving record.
- Prospective employees are required to federal and state background checks, successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen.
- Sufficient health, ability, experience, and education to perform the assigned duties with or without accommodation.
- Belief in Covenant House Michigan Mission Statement and desire to fulfill the mission
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the needs of homeless and at-risk youth that Covenant House Michigan serves.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, representatives of other agencies, and the public.
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, with both internal and external individuals and/or businesses.
- Ability to follow directions and carry out the goals of the youth/program.
- Ability to provide a safe environment for youth and staff.
- Ability to work standing, walking, sitting a minimum of 8 hours per day/shift.
- Ability to participate in recreational activities with youth served as required.
- Ability to drive agency or personal vehicles to transport items and/or persons.
- Ability to defuse physical and verbal confrontations with youth served using appropriate techniques and/or interventions.
- Ability to conduct group meetings.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects.
- Ability to lift and move objects typically weighing 5-35 pounds.
- Ability to work flexible schedule when needed.
- Ability to take direction from Managers and Shift Leaders
- Willingness to improve skills.
- Ability to work with other programs within CHM and community partners.
Covenant House Michigan is a vaccinated and an equal opportunity employer. CHM will not discriminate against any otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment with respect to hire, tenure, terms, conditions or privileges of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, height, weight, marital status, disabilities or other legally protected status.