Like the saying goes: “It takes a village to raise a child.” Sadly, thousands of kids throughout Michigan do not have family or support systems to help them along the way.
When kids come to Covenant House seeking help, our staff becomes part of their family, offering support and unconditional love kids need to be happy as they continue their journeys toward positive and productive lives.
Our staff cannot do this alone, however. Hundreds of volunteers and donors are an extension of the Covenant House family. People just like you give of their hearts, time, and financial resources to make sure our kids get the love and support they deserve. Please join us on this mission of hope.
Your monetary gift of any amount makes a difference! Please donate online today or by mailing your gift to:
Covenant House Michigan
2959 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Detroit, MI 48208
For a homeless youth without a family, there is no such thing as an inheritance. But through your legacy, our future young people will have programs that will keep them off the streets.
Making a gift through your will is an excellent choice to have a lasting impact on the lives of homeless kids long after you are gone. A planned gift has tax implications and is often transmitted through a legal instrument, such as a will or a trust. A bequest can be unrestricted, enabling Covenant House Michigan to direct your funds where future need is greatest, or restricted to a particular program. Contact Carolyn Millard, Development Manager at 313.463.2015 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to leave your legacy.
Some people prefer to give In-kind gifts instead of a monetary gift. In-kind giving allows you to provide vital resources through the donation of tangible goods.
Please contact Patricia Wojtowicz, Development Coordinator at 313.463.2014 to schedule a drop off or email email@example.com.
August 2018 – Wish List
Attention Covenant House Family! If you are able to help, we are in need of the following items. Thanks in advance.
Hygiene Products (full size)
- Hand Sanitizer (new)
- Body Lotion (Vaseline brand lotion preferred, men’s and women’s scents)
- · Men’s Undershirts (white and black)- all sizes (new)
- Women’s Camisoles (white and black) – any size (new)
Bedding & Linen
- Bath Towels/Washcloths (new)
- Regular Twin Size Sheets (new)
- Blankets/Comforters (new)
- Bed Sets – Twin Size (new)
- Pillows (new)
Clothing & Shoes
- Men’s Jeans – (especially waist sizes 30-38) (new and gently used)
- Belts – Men and Women (new and gently used)
- T-Shirts- Men and Women -all Sizes (new – especially Men’s size M)
- Men and Women clothing (Large, XL, XXL, women’s plus size) (new and gently used)
- Male and Female Garment Bags (new and gently used)
- Laundry Bags
Plan a Fundraising Event
Help Covenant House Michigan raise funds and awareness in your community! There are several ways you can help: DIY Fundraising or Third Party Fundraising. Each one is fun, easy and can involve your friends and families.
Covenant House Michigan DIY Fundraising:
Covenant House DIY Fundraising invites supporters and champions for the cause to be part of our work. Build a personalized fundraising campaign and make your own covenant with these wonderful kids. It’s easy and fun to do with our online fundraising tools, mi.covenanthousediy.org
Third Party Fundraising:
Want to fundraise your way? By organizing a Third Party Fundraiser, can do just that. You are excited about the idea, but the question is, where do you begin? There’s no need to panic. As with everything else, a good fundraiser starts with a good idea and a good cause – and Covenant House Michigan is a great one!
- You can review the Third Party Special Event Guidelines to get an idea of how we would like your event to be managed. We are here to answer your questions! Feel free to call our Development Department at 313.463.2007 and we can explain how it works.
- Next, please fill out the Third Party Proposal form and send it to Patricia Wojtowicz, Development Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Someone from the Development Department will contact you to discuss your idea.
- Once your idea is approved, you will then be asked to complete the Terms and Conditions Third Party Special Events contract for our records.
- HAVE FUN! We would love to be able to feature your event on our social media, so please be sure to take pictures!!
Here are some helpful hints when thinking about planning a Third Party Event:
Go with what you know! The best place to start is with the relationships and interests that you may already have. If you enjoy bowling, consider holding a bowl-a-thon…if you enjoy euchre, consider having a Euchre Party…if you enjoy wine, consider holding a wine-tasting party at your home! By taking that route, you are likely to know a group of people that would want to attend your event, and after all, the goal of these events is to bring people together to raise funds and have fun. If you want assistance with thinking of ideas, please contact Patricia Wojtowicz at 313.463.2014 in the Development Department.
Keep it simple! Especially if this is the first time you have organized a fundraiser, we highly recommend not making the event too elaborate or complicated. Organizing a fundraiser will require your time and energy and is extremely rewarding. The goal is to raise revenue and awareness for the mission of Covenant House Michigan- and “keeping it simple” will help you to achieve this goal!
Are you too young to volunteer? Our volunteers must be 21 years or older–perhaps you are in middle or high school and want to help the mission of Covenant House Michigan, then Third Party Fundraising is for you! Be creative–bake sales are always fun or you can have your friends donate in honor of a special birthday or graduation instead of buying gifts.
Support from corporate sponsors has the potential to impact the lives of countless homeless youth. But lately, companies are realizing that their philanthropic efforts also play an important role in how their customers view them. It’s a win-win situation. We encourage support of the following signature events: A Night of Broadway Stars, Sleep Out, Vigil, Underground Dinner and Fowling for the Cov.
For more information about corporate sponsorship in Detroit, contact Ida Benson, Director of Development and Communications at 313.463.2007 or email@example.com
For more information about corporate sponsorship in Grand Rapids, contact Pam Spaeth, Chief Operating Officer at 616.644.4661 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of homeless youth? Become a COV Advocate and make a stand in the fight against homelessness to benefit all youth who find themselves on the streets. There are many ways you can become a COV Advocate:
- Like our Facebook page- Covenant House Michigan and share it with family and friends.
- Learn more about local and national legislation around homelessness such as human trafficking, aging out of foster care and other factors contributing to youth homelessness by visiting Covenant House International where you can get a global perspective.
- Schedule a Covenant House Michigan speaker to address your civic, business, school or church group by informing and educating your group about the plight of runaway and homeless kids and opportunities for participating in our mission. Please call Claire Van Raaphorst, Development Communications Specialist at 313.463.2343 or 248.770.6134 (cell) to secure a speaker.
- Hand out literature call us 313.463.2000 to obtain brochures, envelopes, annual reports, or other material to share with the community.
- Raise funds for our mission– are you too young to volunteer (you must be over 21 years old) but want to make a difference? Hold a third-party event such as a bowl-a-thon or a pizza night or have your friends donate in honor of a special birthday or graduation–all ways you can make a significant difference in the lives of our residents. Look at the Plan a Fundraising Event section of this page for more ideas and who to contact at CHM.
Covenant House Michigan relies on a multitude of volunteers from all kinds of backgrounds every year. These volunteers have life enriching experiences knowing that they are making a tangible difference in the lives of homeless youth. You must be over 21 years old to volunteer at Covenant House Michigan. Our opportunities include office work, sorting and organizing in our clothing closet, arts, exercise, job readiness, computer skills, bible study, event help and more. Currently, we have limited openings in our clothing closet on Mondays and Fridays between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. For more information contact Patricia Wojtowicz, Development Coordinator at 313.463.2014 or email email@example.com. Interested in volunteering for an event, contact Amy Maple, Executive Assistant at 313.463.2010 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsor a Program, Activity or Dinner
We have 75 residents in Detroit that eat breakfast, lunch and dinner and they are always excited when pizza or other fun meals are brought in. You can donate concert, museum, sporting events, dinner or movie tickets to make for an unforgettable experience. Sometimes we’re able to coordinate an offsite sponsorship for a group of residents to enjoy kayaking, a YMCA visit or bowling. Contact Patricia Wojtowicz, Development Coordinator at 313.463.2014 or email email@example.com to inquire about supporting an activity.
Give Stocks, Bonds & Mutual Funds
Gifts of stocks, bonds, and mutual funds allow you to avoid capital gains tax liability, take an income tax deduction for the full amount of the donation, and know that your contribution is helping homeless kids rebuild their lives.
It’s easy to send your gift of stocks or bonds today via electronic transfer. Please contact our Development Department or click here for delivery instructions.
If you hold securities in certificate form, you can also send us your gift by certified mail. Use two separate envelopes to complete your gift: In the first, place the unsigned stock certificate; in the other, include a signed stock power for each certificate. You can get these forms from your broker or bank. Send them via certified mail to our mailing address: 2959 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Detroit, MI 48208. You can contact Ida Benson, Director of Development and Communications at 313.463.2007 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Employer Matched Giving
Many companies offer to match their staff’s donations on a one-to-one or two-to-one basis. In fact, approximately 65% of the Fortune 500 companies have matching gift programs.
If you volunteer at Covenant House Michigan, your company may also offer a volunteer grant program.
Matching gifts and volunteer grants are an important source of revenue for the on-going mission of Covenant House Michigan.See if your employer will match your giving.
Executive: Each November, business leaders across North America will sleep out so kids don’t have to as they raise money and awareness for homeless youth. Participants must be C-level executives, business owners, leaders in their organization or Covenant House Board Members. Contact Ida Benson, Director of Development and Communications at 313.463.2007 or email email@example.com to get registered or to learn about sponsorship opportunities. http://detroit.executivesleepout.org
YP: Young professionals unite for one night to make a difference in the lives of homeless youth by sleeping outside on Covenant House Michigan’s campus in March. Individuals must be between 22-40 to participate. Contact Sara Daley, Development Manager Operations at 313.463.2005 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. http://detroit.ypsleepout.org
Sleep Out America: Individuals unite in November to join the Sleep Out movement and celebrate National Homelessness Awareness month. Sleep Out America takes place in your backyard, at school, at church, or in a corporate environment through your place of work. More information is available on the Sleep Out America website.
Young Professional Society
Are you a young professional 22-40 years old who wants to make an impact for homeless youth? Join the Young Professional Society and participate in service opportunities with our youth, raise funds to support the mission of Covenant House Michigan and attend fun events for young professionals. To learn more about upcoming meetings or events visit our YP facebook page or contact our YP coordinator, Sara Daley, Development Manager Operations at 313.463.2005 or email@example.com.