Covenant House Michigan is a faith-based nonprofit organization that provides hope to homeless, runaway and at-risk youth ages 18-24. We provide shelter, educational and vocational programs, as well as other support services, to help overcome hurdles such as homelessness, unemployment, inadequate education, violence, drugs and gangs. Our goal is to redirect them onto a path toward meaningful and successful adulthood.
CHM has come to be known by area young people as a place they can go to build a better future and be treated with respect and unconditional love. Over 60,000 youths have been served by CHM since its inception in September, 1997.
For applicants that desire consideration for this opening should submit their cover letter of interest along with an updated resume.
WE ARE PROUD TO OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short/Long Term Disability Coverage
- Company paid life insurance
- 403B Retirement Plan (with annual company contribution)
- Generous Paid Time Off (15 days annually)
- Holiday Pay (12 annually)
- Stability that coincides with working for a national leader in human services
General Description: Person in this position is responsible for serving evening meals and possibly covering shifts which would involve preparing meals for agency clients and staff. Also for maintaining cleanliness of kitchen at all times.
Educational and work experience requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred. Course work or study in Culinary Arts a plus.
- 1-2 years experience cooking for large numbers in a residential facility or similar environment required. Restaurant experience acceptable.
- Knowledge of state of Michigan food and kitchen regulations.
- Valid ServSafe certification required. Food handlers may be acceptable.
- Sufficient health, ability, experience, and education to perform the assigned duties with or without accommodation.
- Belief in Covenant House Mission Statement and desire to fulfill the mission.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the needs of homeless and at-risk youth that Covenant House Michigan serves.
Essential skills and abilities:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, representatives of other agencies, and the public.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally with both internal and external individuals and/or businesses.
- Ability to work assigned shifts, which may include evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to lift and move objects weighing 5-50+ pounds.
- Ability to work standing and walking a minimum of 8 hours per day/shift.
- Ability to drive agency or personal vehicles to transport items and/or persons.
- Ability to use kitchen equipment and appliances such as knives, stove/oven, grill, coffee urns, etc.
- Uphold Covenant House Michigan standards of conduct, policies and procedures in the spirit of the Covenant House Mission at all times.
- Attend and participate in all scheduled or mandatory meetings, trainings and supervision sessions as requested.
- Serve evening meal.
- Maintain holding temperatures.
- Prepare carry-out plates according to submitted lists from Crisis & Rights of Passage buildings.
- Properly label, date and store leftovers.
- Count meals and carry-outs and transfer information to the daily accounting sheet.
- Leave kitchen in a clean and tidy state for the next shift.
- Maintain cleanliness of kitchen by properly disposing of food products/garbage, cleaning/sanitizing all surfaces, washing/drying dishes, etc.
- Prepare daily meals for agency clients and staff, as needed
- Follow monthly menu that meet nutritional guidelines.
- Collect properly completed meal tickets from each person served.
- Unload delivery trucks and put items away properly. Assure that all items are properly labeled and rotated.
- Assist with organizing food for special events and special meals, which includes decoration of dining room and preparing theme menus.
- Keep track of inventory control and logging sheets.
- Pack inventory for other agency facilities.
- Perform all other tasks as requested by the Director of Property Management and CHM administration.
Covenant House Michigan is a vaccinated and an equal opportunity employer. CHM will not discriminate against any otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment with respect to hire, tenure, terms, conditions or privileges of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, height, weight, marital status, disabilities or other legally protected status.