Covenant House Michigan provides a full range of competitive benefits options including, health, dental, vision, short term disability, long term disability, Life & AD&D insurances as well as a funded retirement account (403(b)), as well as a very competitive Paid Time Off (PTO) plan.
This is for 2nd shift: 3pm – 11pm, must be available for weekends.
General Description: To provide supervision and delivery of residential services to residents as well as represent Covenant House Michigan by greeting guests, residents, staff and volunteers within the framework of the Mission Statement, Five Principles and policies and procedures of CHM. The RA will support, guide, and redirect the path of these youth toward safe, productive and independent lives. In addition to supervision, required services also include monitoring, transporting and meeting the basic daily needs, of the youth in their care, in a way that positively supports each resident’s developmental and individual goals.
Educational and work experience requirements:
- High school diploma, GED required, Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or related field preferred.
- Minimum two years experience working with at-risk youth preferred.
- Previous experience working in the mental health field also strongly desired.
- Knowledge of adolescent development, crisis intervention, multi-cultural awareness.
- CPR and First Aid certification desired.
- Valid Michigan driver’s license with acceptable driving record as required by insurance company.
- Sufficient health, ability, experience, and education to perform the assigned duties with or without accommodation.
- Belief in Covenant House Michigan Mission Statement and desire to fulfill the mission
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the needs of homeless and at-risk youth that Covenant House Michigan serves.
Essential skills and abilities:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, representatives of other agencies, and the public.
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, with both internal and external individuals and/or businesses.
- Ability to follow directions and carry out the goals of the youth/program.
- Ability to provide a safe environment for youth and staff.
- Ability to work standing, walking, sitting a minimum of 8 hours per day/shift.
- Ability to participate in recreational activities with youth served as required.
- Ability to drive agency or personal vehicles to transport items and/or persons.
- Ability to defuse physical and verbal confrontations with youth served using appropriate techniques and/or interventions.
- Ability to conduct group meetings.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects.
- Ability to lift and move objects typically weighing 5-35 pounds.
- Ability to work flexible schedule when needed.
- Ability to take direction from Managers and Shift Leaders
- Willingness to improve skills.
- Ability to work with other programs within CHM and community partners.
Covenant House Michigan is an equal opportunity employer. CHM will not discriminate against any otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment with respect to hire, tenure, terms, conditions or privileges of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, height, weight, marital status, disabilities or other legally protected status.