Paid time off available to this position.
We have multiple openings for the position of Cook at our Grand Rapids campus.
- 7am-11am M-F and two 4 hr shifts on the weekend (9a-1pm)
- 4pm-8pm M-F and two 4 hr shifts on the weekend (4p-8pm)
General Description: Person in this position is responsible for preparing all meals for agency clients. Also for maintaining cleanliness of kitchen at all times.
Educational and work experience requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Course work or study in Culinary Arts a plus.
- 1-2 years’ experience cooking in a residential facility or similar environment required. Restaurant experience acceptable.
- Knowledge of state of Michigan food and kitchen regulations.
- A valid ServSafe certificate.
- Sufficient health, ability, experience, and education to perform the assigned duties with or without accommodation.
- Belief in Covenant House Mission Statement and desire to fulfill the mission.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the needs of homeless and at-risk youth that Covenant House Michigan serves.
Essential skills and abilities:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, representatives of other agencies, and the public.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally with both internal and external individuals and/or businesses.
- Ability to work assigned shifts, which may include evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to lift and move objects weighing 5-50+ pounds.
- Ability to work standing and walking a maximum of 8 hours per day/shift.
- Ability to drive agency or personal vehicles to transport items and/or persons.
- Ability to use kitchen equipment and appliances such as knives, stove/oven, grill, coffee, etc.
Covenant House Michigan is an equal opportunity employer. CHM will not discriminate against any otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment with respect to hire, tenure, terms, conditions or privileges of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, height, weight, marital status, disabilities or other legally protected status.